On Behalf of  | Jun 16, 2021 | Naturalization And Citizenship |

When you live in Texas and plan to marry someone who hails from another nation, you need to follow a certain process before securing a K-1 non-immigrant visa, or a fiancé visa. For example, you need to have plans to marry within a specific timeframe. You also have to show that your marriage is happening because you love one another, and not because marriage may make it easier for your fiancé to move to the United States.  

Per U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, in addition to you being a U.S. citizen, you and your situation must meet the following eligibility requirements for you to get a K-1 non-immigrant visa for your foreign-born fiancé.  

You must plan to marry within 90 days

To secure a fiancé visa, you and your fiancé must have plans to marry within 90 days of the date he or she enters the United States.  

You must have met in person

You also have to be able to show that you and your fiancé have met in person before you may file your petition for a fiancé visa. You must have met at least once in person within the two years preceding you filing your petition. There are rare exceptions to this, however. You may be able to avoid this eligibility requirement if meeting one another before marriage would violate longstanding traditions or customs, or if it would result in extreme hardship to you, the petitioner.  

You are both legally free to marry

You and your fiancé also both have to be free to marry one another, meaning any prior marriages either of you had ended in divorce, death or annulment. 

If your situation meets all eligibility requirements and you and your fiancé marry within 90 days of him or her arriving in the United States, your fiancé may then apply for lawful permanent residency in the United States.