When you live in Texas and wish to marry someone who comes from another nation, you must take certain steps to move forward with your marriage. To bring your fiancé to the United States and marry him or her, you first need to get a K-1 nonimmigrant visa, or a fiancé visa.

Per U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, once your fiancé arrives on U.S. soil, the two of you must marry within 90 days. Otherwise, your fiancé must leave the country before the 90 days are up.

Determining eligibility for a fiancé visa

If you wish to petition to have your foreign-born fiancé move to the United States, you must hold U.S. citizenship yourself. You also have to meet the 90-day marriage deadline. Furthermore, both of you must be free to marry one another, meaning you are not in existing marriages with other people already. Finally, unless extenuating circumstances exist, you and your fiancé must have met in person at least once during the two years before your marriage.

Understanding how to bring your fiancé to the United States

If your situation meets the criteria outlined above, the next step involves filing Form I-129F, a Petition for Alien Fiancé. The form then makes its way to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where your fiancé is going to apply for the K-1 nonimmigrant visa. If approved, your fiancé must then undergo an inspection at a U.S. port of entry before you may marry one another in the United States.

If you and your fiancé marry within 90 days of his or her arrival in the United States, your fiancé may then apply for a Green Card.