On Behalf of  | Jul 1, 2021 | Employment-Based Immigration |

When you were born somewhere other than the United States, you need to take certain steps if you wish to move to Texas or another U.S. state for work and stay on a permanent basis. The United States recognizes a number of different visa categories. The right visa for you is going to depend on your skills, level of education, professional accolades and so on.

Per U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, if you identify as a skilled worker, professional worker or one of a number of other types of workers, you may decide to pursue an EB-3 visa. Whether you may do so depends on whether you meet the eligibility requirements outlined for skilled workers, professional workers or other workers.

Eligibility requirements for skilled workers

Skilled workers have to prove they have at least two years of experience, education or training that matched up with the job requirements outlined on their labor certifications. If you wish to obtain a third-preference EB-3 visa as a skilled worker, you also have to come to the United States for a job your employer has been unable to fill domestically.

Eligibility requirements for professionals

To get an EB-3 visa as a professional, you must have a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent, with no exceptions. Your employer also has to have been unable to fill the job you are coming for with professionals already living in the United States.

Eligibility requirements for other workers

To secure an EB-3 visa as an “other” worker, you must be willing to perform unskilled labor that is not temporary or seasonal. Your employer also has to have been unsuccessful in finding someone who already lives in the United States for the job.

While these are some of the eligibility requirements associated with EB-3 visas, this is not an exhaustive list of all eligibility criteria.