On Behalf of  | Sep 1, 2021 | Non-Immigrant Visas |

You do not live in the U.S., but you would like to visit for a vacation. Which visa do you need for a temporary stay?

The U.S. Department of State explains which travel purposes qualify for a B-2 non-immigrant visa. Ensure you apply for the right visa to avoid unnecessary delays and complications.

Defining the B-2 visa

Non-immigrants visiting the country need a B-1 visa, but those who want to enter the country for tourism need a B-2 visa. Specific reasons to apply for a B-2 visa include receiving medical treatment, visiting friends or family, enrolling in brief recreational courses of study and participating as an amateur in musical or sporting events and contests.

Qualifying for the B-2 visa

After determining whether your trip qualifies you for a non-immigrant visa, find out whether you meet the visa’s requirements. Applicants for a B-2 visa must prove they want to visit the U.S. for tourism or pleasure, that they do not want to visit the country to seek employment or engage in business, and that they have permanent residence in a nation other than the U.S. that they intend to return to after their visit. Applicants must also prove they have an occupation, family or real estate property that connects them to their home country.

Applying for the B-2 visa

Aim for applying for your visa sooner rather than later. You must apply at your home country’s nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Submit Form DS-160, complete an interview and pay a non-refundable visa application fee.

Hopefully, all goes well and you secure permission to vacation in the U.S. Knowing your visa options saves you time, money and energy.