On Behalf of  | May 5, 2021 | Family-Based Immigration |

If you plan to marry an individual from another country, he or she can apply for a K-1 fiancé visa. Upon approval, your fiancé can come to the United States and you must marry within 90 days.

Review the process of obtaining a K-1 visa if you have become engaged to a foreign national.

Qualifying for a fiancé visa

Your fiancé can file Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé, as long as you can both legally marry. You must adhere to the marriage laws in the state where you plan to live together. In general, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services will require you to prove that you have met your fiancé in person at least once in the past two years. He or she must have no prior immigration-related violations, such as overstaying a temporary visa.

Understanding the K-1 process

USCIS will review the Form I-129F submission. If the department approves your fiancé’s petition, it will proceed to the National Visa Center. The NVC will notify your fiancé by postal mail of approval to move forward. At that point, he or she can apply for a K-1 visa. If your fiancé has children, they can receive K-2 visas.

During the process, your fiancé will receive information about required documentation and fees. Without the necessary support, the USCIS may deny the visa application. You must pay careful attention to deadlines since the I-129F petition expires after four months.

The total processing time for a K-1 visa will vary based on your family’s individual circumstances. Providing complete information and following all instructions can reduce the possibility of delays in application approval.